Sunday, May 1, 2016

Watercolor and Pastel Working Together.



I have enjoyed working with watercolor for some time now.  Once exposed to watercolor I fell in love with its freshness and transparency.  These are the qualities that set this medium apart from all others.  I have explored, practiced, exhibited, sold and taught watercolor for 22 years.  (see Biography)  Now I am retired from the business-end of art but I cannot retire from my art; the desire to create and explore.   

Watercolor can stand alone beautifully.  Its clean vibrant colors sing across the paper.  There is no white in the paint box as white as white paper.  Watercolor being transparent allows the brilliance of the paper to glow through.  The watercolor becomes light.  This is the quality of watercolor I am enlisting as I work the two mediums side by side.  (watercolor and soft pastel)



I am drawn to work with soft pastel sticks because of the tactile sensation they offer as I work the chalk over the paper.  I enjoy the rhythmic sensation encountered when I apply the soft pastel.  Each stroke represents direction and energy conveying a visual communication.  And I love to draw.

Soft pastels are opaque;  just the opposite of what we experience with watercolor.  By laying the soft pastel down next to a watercolor area the intensity of light is enhanced.  It is all about contrast which we know is a basic principle of composition.   (see Composition)

Soft pastels are also rich in color adding strength to the painting.  Depending on the ground chosen the application of soft pastel adds various texture to the painting.  It is not always easy to find the correct hue and value in your pastel box but this can be worked out.  More about this later where I discuss pastel techniques.



Inspiration came to me when I asked myself the question:  Can soft pastel and watercolor work together on a common ground (paper) to take advantage of their unique characteristics?  The answer is:  YES
 


I am keeping of journal of my journey as I work these two mediums side by side.  Follow along as I share my discoveries, victories and frustrations in an attempt to marry watercolor with soft pastel.

No comments:

Post a Comment