Monday, May 23, 2016

Some Tools to Use with Pastels



As I began to work with pastels I soon became aware of some challenges I had not met when working with watercolor.

For one, pastels are messy!  Dust collects and smudges occur.  How to cope.  I found it helpful to have several terry-cloth rags and replacing them frequently; used as a bed for the pastel sticks I am currently using and for cleaning up pastel dust.  Also a small portable vacuum has been helpful and wet-mopping my linoleum floor is a necessity.

When working on the pastel drawing I try to begin at the top working downward to avoid smearing the pastel.  I also often will cover the lower half of my painting with a sheet of layout paper. 

Pastels can be reworked.  Some of my favorite tools for blending and reworking:

  • Kneaded erasers both for removing and blending. 
  • A bristle brush for blending.  The long handle keeps my hand away from the paper surface and I can see where I am working.
  • The old fashioned pastel paper wipes are great for blending.  Did you know you can sharpen them?  More about sharpening later.
  • There are some tools used in clay work with different sized tips that can be used to move pasted and control the edges.  Also there is a tool called a Colour Shaper that is used to move paint around and can be used to move pastel,  Visit your local art store and browse the items; use your imagination.  It is fun to try different possibilities.
  • My most frequently used tools for blending are my fingertips.  Best control as to direction and pressure.

Pastels come in several different sizes and hardness.  Have a variety within your reach to meet your need.  Pastel pencils are great for detail.  Try to keep from dropping them on the floor; the soft pastel encased in the wood breaks easily. 

And how to keep them sharp?  I have tried lots of sharpeners, hand and electric, knives and razor blades and am happiest with a small belt-sander.  It is quick and gives a great point to your pencil or paper blending tool.
 


There are some fine sources of information covering pastel materials, tools and techniques.  Visit Deborah Secor at:    http://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/  




No comments:

Post a Comment